Our retiring President Mr Basil Wright (1999/2000 to 2005/2006) was elected to the presidency back in 1999. Basil was given Life Membership of the Association in 2003. During his seven years in office Basil has led the Brisbane North Junior Cricket Association into a new era.
He certainly has been busy and progressive and has introduced to the operation of the Association the following:-
- The BNJCA Web Site
- The formalisation of all the BNJCA Policy and Procedures
- The new Draw press and policy
- Formation of the Grants Committee
- Documented and introduced the Brisbane North selection policy and process
- Use of independent selectors for representative teams selection
- The introduction of the Spirit of Cricket Award in 2003
- Saturday afternoon cricket for the early fixture games for the Half Season Competition
The dictionary describes “President” as a person who is in charge of a meeting, certainly not Basil; he used his energies by becoming very much involved in all the activities of the Association.
To quote Sir Donald Bradman, “We are all temporary custodians of the game of cricket. It is the responsibility of the current players to ensure the game is left in a better state than when they played.” That has epitomised Basil’s attitude to his duties for BNJCA as evidenced by the vast array of administrative and technological advances that have been introduced during Basil’s presidency.
Basil we salute you for your vision, your dedication, your passion, your energy and your professionalism in the way you have carried out the onerous duties associated with the position of President of BNJCA.